Tuesday, March 15, 2016

It's All in the Details


The Buster Project is coming down to the final details.  My mentor pointed out some problems with "edge integrity", i.e. all the dog's edges had to be crisp.  Also there was a problem with the background being too "busy and linear".  Connecting some rocks to the dog and eliminating a second flower bed behind the dog gave Buster some additional depth.

Next session will require some muzzle work.  Right now, he looks like he has a giant black hole in his head.  The muzzle is next, then a coat of varnish to make everything shine.  Overall, I think he's a handsome boy and I'm reluctant to give the work to his owner.


Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Plein Air on a Budget

3/8/16
I'm planning more plein air work this season, and now that the weather is definitely changing for the better, it's time to reassess my equipment.
I had a problem with weight last year; not me as much as all the equipment.  I had the french easel which helps with organization and doing your work but it weighs a bit much.  Next I carried a nearly full LL Bean tote bag and a small daypack with lunch, etc.  I wanted to try something different; here's what I came up with to eliminate the weight of a french easel:

 I bought two items on Craig's List: A ProMaster 4900 tripod for $20 and  Windsor Newton paint box for next to nothing.  Remove the top of the tripod and you have a 1/4" screw.  Drill a 1/4" hole in the exact center of the bottom of the box.  Get a 1/4" coupling nut ($1.24 @ Home Depot) and you're good to go.  Beat that price YouTube hucksters.  It's my gift to you, my painting friends.




11/24/16 Addendum:
The few times I was able to get out for some plein air work, I used an old beat up french easel and a large LL Bean carry bag.  I didn't look stylish but the simplicity, albeit extra weight worked just as well as my friends with high dollar plein air equipment.  Just my $.02.